Monday, November 20, 2006

Tom Hanks isn't dead either

So I just randomly heard that this rumor was false.

And I decided to investigate the website where it allegedly came from. The site is FakeAWish.com

So, apparently, you can do this with any celebrity or athlete. For an example, I'll use the player recently signed to the Cubs for a lot of money, Alfonso Soriano.

I can say that he died in a plane crash.

Personally, I think it looks fake, and kinda stupid, but apparently, it fools people. Hence the belief that Tom Hanks was dead in New Zealand, even though he wasn't anywhere near New Zealand.

I do not know what's more sad...the fact that people actually fall for these goofy things, or that there's actually a "market" for them. It's not even limited to celebrities or athletes either. You can also make someone "Masturbation World Champ." Classy.

I don't know why I'm posting this. Perhaps I'm merely crying out for society to do better...much better. It is indicative, I think, of my own level of intellectualism (or boredom), that I actually chuckled a bit at some of the headlines.

Regardless, the kind of havoc this site could wreck is a bit frightening. It hasn't happened, and it probably won't happen, but for the sake of argument, what if someone eventually makes an article saying that a plane has crashed into the Sears Tower or something? Then a number of people are in legal trouble, including the site's creators, probably.

I guess I'll just end by saying, be aware of this goofy site and don't be drawn in by articles that come from it. This is how ridiculous hoaxes get started.

On the bright side, at least that keeps snopes.com in business.

2 comments:

Keshi said...

hehe yeah I know...some ppl have nuttin betta to do than send fake msgs. Guess they r bored to death.

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

Alfonso Soriano died in a plane crash? Oh my god, no. That's impossible. He was at Wrigley Field yesterday, I saw pictures in the Red Eye. Unless those were fake too...

Why, oh why, couldn't it have been Kerry Wood?