Friday, October 27, 2006

Absolutely Stunning...Or Is It?

I refuse to get optimistic over polls.

Polls can lie...even today.

Ask Harry Truman in 1948.

Ask Carty Finkbeiner, current mayor of Toledo, in 1993.

Polls don't mean much.

What does mean much: this.

The Republican Party is surrendering Mike DeWine's TV ads in Ohio?

There's got to be a catch. Either they expect DeWine to pull it out in the end anyway because it's Ohio, or Republicans are planning a different strategy for DeWine.

It just can't be that the Republican Party is giving up a U.S. Senate race in Ohio. It just can't be that Ohioans have seen the end of DeWine's smear-happy commercials.

Can it?

Are Ohioans this mad over the Coingate scandal? Are they finally opening up to ideas that the Democratic Party might have? Are these polls really that symbolic of Ohio sentiment?

If so, I'd be stunned. Ohio hasn't went "Blue" for anything since Clinton was re-elected.

I'd like to believe that Ohioans have finally gotten fed up with a stagnant economy and empty Republican promises. I'd like to believe that Mike DeWine is going down with the rest of the old-guard Bob Taft brigade. I'd like to believe that Ohioans are finally going to make the right choice.

But read the title of this blog. I want proof...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm as shocked as you about the blueness of Ohio :-p I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I know it just came out a couple of days ago that Dewine was flat out lying in his campaign ads, saying that Sherrod Brown didn't pay his taxes when it turns out, he did. Anyhow, word got out and people are pissed. So my guess is they just don't have any truthful campaign ads to run for next week hehe. Oops :-p