Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Come on down!...to say goodbye

I just had to comment on this.

The reason? I never thought I would see the headline. I seriously thought that the man would do the show until he died.

He might yet...he said he's quitting next June.

Even after that, I hear that "The Price is Right" is on a huge tape delay, so we may be seeing Barker on the show until at least next December.

Don't get me wrong: I don't WANT Barker to die on the set. It's just...wow. I seriously can't imagine Barker not doing the show. 35 years hosting "The Price Is Right"? 50 years in television overall? Especially in today's "work 'til you drop" atmosphere, I cannot possibly fathom anyone breaking Barker's record on either that show or any other show, for that matter.

I don't get to watch "The Price Is Right" anymore, but it's always something to flip on in the daytime that neither I, nor anyone else I can think of, for that matter, could hate. How can you not like, "The Price Is Right?" People win new cars, boats, appliances, cash, etc. It's awesome! And I wish I were on it!

And Barker made the show what it is. Sure, "Barker's Beauties" helped the show a ton, but Bob Barker IS "The Price Is Right." His appeal spanned generations. Even though he went through 2 or 3 other announcers, Barker remained a staple. He knew the games. He knew the people. He got kisses from 340-pound, 55-year-old women, and model-type 23-year-old women. He gives away more new cars in a month than some dealerships do in a year. If there is a man who can be called an "institution," it is Barker.

And now he's going to leave? I can't imagine who could replace him.

No matter who does replace him though, the show just won't be the same.

1 comment:

historymike said...

Yep - television will lose another legend when Barker retires.

Whenever I catch a glimpse of that show, it always reminds me of being a kid home from school on a sick day or a snow day.

He used to come on about 10:00 am, when the only other programs were talk shows (this was 1970s in Detroit, when I only had 5 channels from which to choose).